Weight: 311 lbs.
- Second-team All-SEC (2013)
- Started 49 straight games at right tackle
- Set record for career starts by an OL in Tennessee history
- Freshman All-SEC (2010)
Senior Bowl Notes
- James accepted an invitation to play in the 2014 Senior Bowl in Mobile.
- The former Volunteer was injured on Monday and missed the rest of Senior Bowl week.
- 40 yard dash - 5.34 seconds
- Bench Press - 22 reps
- Vertical Jump - 29"
- Broad Jump - 8'7"
- 3 Cone Drill - 7.42 seconds
- 20 yard shuttle - 4.56 seconds
- Arm length - 35"
- Hand size - 9 7/8"
- Can lock down pass rushers once he gets hands on them and arms extended
- Rarely oversets and has shown ability to recover against quick inside move
- Displays power in his hands upon initial contact
- Able to re-direct with necessary power
- Best suited to attack with quick-sets more often
- Rarely gets over-powered
- Balance can be an issue
- Can get lost on the 2nd level and miss his assignments
- Feet get lazy in run game
- Pad level too high in runnin game out of snap
- Against edge rushers, fails to make up enough ground with kick step
- Stiff, heavy legs getting up to the 2nd level
TSV videos provided by Draft Breakdown
2:25 Wide base, arms locked out and DE locked down
2:47 Proper usage of inside hand with first contact and then handles spin move back inside
4:48 Misses two moving targers on the 2nd level in run game
4:49 Loses his balance because he fails to get his weight and feet in proper position
9:54 Gains ground, bends and executes cut block with proper technique
Ja'Wuan James has been a rock at right tackle for the Vols starting all 49 games during his college career. James has a sturdy frame, long arms and prototypical height for the tackle position.
As a pass protector, James is limited against edge speed due to leg stiffness and his average athleticism, but when he gets his target squared up and his arms extended, it can be lights out.
James doesn't bend particularly well which means he will always play higher than you like and will be inconsistent with power because his leverage will be an issue. James plays with good hustle, but I see him having issues on the 2nd level as the game and talent continues to get faster.