What will I be watching at the Combine??
Most people that know me think I live for the NFL Combine. The hips, the butts, the arm length, whatever, you name it. But, those people don’t really kn…okay, can we keep this between us?
I do like the Combine.
Let me be clear, I understand its place in the NFL Draft World, but I love to watch athletes do the things I could never do. (Things I could never do well, that is.) Anyhow, there’s plenty that has my attention this week in Indianapolis. Follow along with me this weekend:
- The 40 time for Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk
- Does a QB not scheduled to throw get bitten by the “competition bug” and throws?
- How many position players throw up fewer bench press reps of 225 than the best kicker?
- The vitriol that’ll head Jadeveon Clowney’s way when he runs 4.65 in the 40.
- South Dakota OLB Tyler Starr’s 3-cone time, he called his shot, got my attention, now follow up
- What player will have all of us headed back to the film room after a strong combine performance?
- Which GM will take former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland’s place for worst interviewer at the Combine?
- How big really are Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel’s hands?
- Speaking of Texas A&M, I think Mike Evans runs well, and it's always impressive to watch “big” also be “fast”
- I’d love to be a fly on the wall to hear the first Michael Sam team interview.
- How fast is 6’6”/318 lb. Minnesota DT Rashede Hageman? I think he’ll run A LOT faster than I ever did - that’s scary.
- The athletic show that UCLA OLB Anthony Barr will put forth.
- Same goes for Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack.
- The Manti Te’o-40 experience projected on to Stanford star Shayne Skov when he runs 4.7+.
- Someone has to find out which college senior told an Atlanta Falcon scout at the Senior Bowl: “Can’t talk, this is my me time.”
- Whether Auburn’s Dee Ford’s thighs have grown at all (it’s not humanly possible actually) since Senior Bowl
- Anything USC C Marcus Martin does - most intriguing player that I want to study further
- Baylor WR Tevin Reese running the 40, same goes for Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks
- The shuttle drill and 3-cone drill time for Wyoming WR Robert Herron
- UNLV RB Tim Cornett to be fully healthy and get people’s attention as a potential day three gem.
- What will the scale say when Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde gets on it?
- Furthermore, how will Hyde answer to his off the field antics last summer?
- Anything the TE class does, not named Amaro, ASJ, Ebron and Niklas - a ton of unknowns with potential
- The length of Texas A&M OL Jake Matthews’ arms
- How much the weight Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt lost will assist his performance (from 322 to 306)
- Which begs the question, why the heck was Tuitt EVER 322 pounds?
- Penn State G/resident math genius John Urshchel’s Wonderlic score
- The 40-time of Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard, especially in contrast to Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert
- Which big cornerback will have everyone all a-twitter after running a 4.3 at 6’2”?
- Last and certainly not least, which of the two LSU WR, Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, will step forward?
As I submit this for print, there’ll be about a 100 more. So, I’m sure that my twitter account (@jharrisfootball) will be loaded with Combine thoughts throughout the weekend…well, if you’re interested. You got this far, so it’s safe to assume you are.